Vaping & E-Cigarettes
Despite governmental restrictions and the alarming and highly-publicized health risks of tobacco, today’s teens are smoking cigarettes and e-cigarettes at a startling rate. Vaping and e-cigarettes are providing an accessible and sneaky way for kids to smoke – some vape pens and juuls work without fumes or visible vapors to give them away. And at BHS, there’s a whole lot of vaping going on, increasing nicotine consumption and providing new ways to smoke marijuana.
The recent presentation "The Truth About Vaping" by Caron Treatment Center’s Education Alliance offered parents a wealth of information and strategies regarding the troubling epidemic of vaping among Brookline youth. Click here for The Bottom Line takeaway of key points and recommended resources.
What are e-cigarettes?
Vaping and e-cigarettes are an accessible and sneaky way for kids to smoke – some vape pens and Juuls work without fumes or visible vapors to give them away.
What are the laws and policies around vaping and e-cigarettes?
How do I talk to my teen about vaping and e-cigarettes?
If you're looking for persuasive arguments to dissuade your teen from smoking, try appealing to his/her vanity. The FDA is targeting teens with information about the damage smoking can do to skin, teeth and breath.
Additional Reading & Resources
- Record Rise in Teen Vaping
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Vaping
- FDA Prevention Infographic
- Vaping Blog by Jon Krol, Wachusett Regional High School's Head of Guidance
- Stanford Medicine: Tobacco Prevention Toolbox
- Vox: Juul, the vape device teens are getting hooked on, explained
- National Institute on Drug Abuse Fact Sheet
- CDC: E-Cigarettes and Young People
- Surgeon General Tip Sheet
- The Partnership for Drug-Free Kids